We are often asked if we magically bless or charge the goods we sell, but we don’t. We just cleanse them, as we cleanse our whole store, so they start ready to receive your intention and work for you. The most we do is put the intention in everything that it finds the “right home.” It’s not because we are stingy or don’t know how to charge a pendant. The fact is, only you truly know what you need or want.
How many times have you asked for something for a holiday gift and had what you though was a simple request curiously or disappointingly misunderstood? Seriously, do it yourself – someone else might not quite understand, and no one else can put the same amount of desire or meaning into it. The purpose of charging is to get yourself in touch with what I’ve come to think of as a universal energy meme or magical subroutine attached to the symbol; to personalize the pendant with your specific intent; and to activate that intent in the universe. No one can do this better than you, because even the best psychic can’t feel, see and taste your purpose half as well as you.
What I am presenting here is not “the one true way” to charge your pendant, talisman or amulet. There are as many ways to bless an object as there are religious, magickal and folk traditions. You can search the internet and find any number of ways.
You might want to do an additional cleansing of your pendant before you begin. Set it out overnight under moonlight, sprinkle with salt, or smudge it with incense, etc.
9 Steps to Charge your Pendant:
- Gather your pendant, a small piece of paper, and a writing utensil then go to what you consider your sacred or private place. If you have a favorite incense, you might want to use that, as well. Frankincense and Sandalwood are two options if you aren’t sure what to use.
- Light your incense, take a few clearing breaths – enough to let go of whatever you were doing prior in the day and what you might be fretting about or planning to do next. If it helps, visualize erasing a blackboard (or whiteboard).
- Connect to your higher self, patron diety or saint, spirit guide, your heart of hearts, etc. so you can put forth an intention for your highest good.
- Focus on the outcome you want to achieve, and how it feels, rather than your need . . . so focus on feeling safe and invulnerable vs. needing protection from harm, for example. Be as specific as you can, take time to ask for clarity, if needed.
- Take the piece of paper and draw the pendant or the symbol on the pendant on it. (Or, if it doesn’t have a symbol, pick a symbol or word which represents the pendant to you) It absolutely doesn’t need to be exact. You are not being graded, even on a curve. It needs to be your interpretation. As you draw, remind yourself of the outcome you want, so it flows through your hands into the symbol on the paper.
- Wrap the pendant in the paper, or just set the pendant on the paper, pick them both up and hold them in your hands, acquainting them with each other. You are introducing your specific purpose to the universal meme, just as you would two people. Hold them for as long as you can keep the focus of what you want for your outcome, or until you feel that the two have “bonded” or become BFFs, soulmates, two sides of one coin . . . whatever metaphor works for you. Then press the paper to transfer your personal version of the symbol into the pendant, and vice-versa, so the “two become one”
- Send your intention forth to the universe by burning the paper (in a fireplace, fire pit or cauldron), composting, burying or otherwise sending that energy out into the universe, preferably without littering, please.
- Say “Thank You for” and name your outcome. (Some traditions say things like “So Mote It Be” but with “Thank You” it’s a done deal which flickers through space-time, not a hope. It’s also more polite.)
- When you put it on, remember your purpose, and when you take it off, give thanks again.
That’s it! Now when you wear your pendant, it connects with the universe, and be ready for the hints the universe provides to keep to your purpose and respond accordingly.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to charge my pendant? Won’t it work anyway?
No, you don’t have to charge your pendant. If it is designed for a purpose, it will serve that purpose, generally. But if you’re reading this article, some part of you wants to put more specificity/energy/oomph into it. Be honest with yourself, if you have resistance. You might need to examine the purpose you intended to use the amulet or talisman for. Or it might be this is a “next step” or “level up” moment. We often obtain amulets or talismans during transition moments in life and then wonder if we really are ready, after all. If that’s the case, review step 3 and do what it takes to get into even temporary alignment with your highest, greatest self. Then decide if you want to, or need to charge your pendant.
What if my talisman is lost or stolen?
I’ll deal with the second part first, if someone takes your pendant and wears it hoping to achieve the same marvelous outcome you did, they’ll only confuse it, because their intention doesn’t lock into that personalized version you introduced to the pendant. So they can clear it and personalize it for themselves, but it’s questionable whether the energy meme will cooperate. If the owner knows in his heart of hearts that it isn’t really his, there can never be a true bond or focus, and that knowledge of illegitimacy will work against him.
Many people are afraid if they lose their talisman, it could be used against them in some way. Not if you use this method of charging! Here’s why:
First off, if someone tries to use a symbol for anything other than the universal energy which has been associated with it by tradition, it simply won’t work. Secondly, you put your energy into the paper which then transferred the purpose to the amulet or talisman, and you returned that paper to the universe. It acted as a sort of a translator or forwarding address. Thus, when you wear the amulet, it is perfectly tuned to you and to that universal energy working for you, but in the hands of someone else, there is less of an energized link to you. The link goes first to that intention that has been dispersed to the universe as to a forwarding address. Of course, if you wear a piece enough, or wear it during rituals, etc. it will still pick up your energy. If that’s the case, you might want to do a cutting or misdirection ritual. Since it is already associated to that forwarding address, you could invoke the symbol and cut your ties with it.
I did everything you said . . . why it didn’t it work?
Think about it. Think about it seriously. You will likely come up with some fork in the road, something else you could’ve done, advice you didn’t head, etc. You might find some mental block, self-deception, disruptive pattern or the like. Your soul may have had a greater lesson to learn. Or it could be you were relying on a thing around your neck to overcome common sense, physical reality or your own inertia. A talisman or amulet is not an excuse for not engaging in life with your fullest ability. It is a crutch, when you need it, or a boost when you are ready for the results.
Sometimes you may just need something simple, but sometimes something more involved helps you tap into the power of a symbol. So, if you need or want more, this ritual will work. Feel free to elaborate or adapt it for your own use, trusting your own intuition to guide you. If you’ve found this article useful, please comment or use the share links below. Thanks!
copyright © 2011, Jane R. Hansen