- See you at 7:00 tonight! http://eyeofhorus.biz/features/orisha-artist-reception-drum-performance.htm http://bit.ly/bJswA9 #
- "Everything is blooming most recklessly; if it were voices instead of colors, there would be an unbelievable… http://bit.ly/cAx5Lz #
- Come to "Psychic Faire" Sunday, May 30 from 11:00 am to 6:00 pm. In-store Metaphysical Fair. Choose from 3 Psychic… http://bit.ly/9UWldc #
- "There are no passengers on spaceship earth. We are all crew." ~Marshall McLuhan http://bit.ly/dg9W5W #
- This Sunday, there's another reason to come down to Lyndale Avenue: http://www.lynlakestreetfest.com/ http://bit.ly/a9oZAq #
- "Why not let people differ about their answers to the great mysteries
of the Universe? Let each seek one's own way… http://bit.ly/bje8mT #
- Reminder, drum performance / artist reception this saturday:… http://bit.ly/9xLGi8 #
- We're selling through smudge spray faster than it can be made . . . the next batch will be ready in another week or… http://bit.ly/cLKrVn #
- “That's the thing with magic. You've got to know it's still here, all around us, or it just stays invisible for… http://bit.ly/bQV1Rw #
- "Our life is an apprenticeship to the truth that around every circle another can be drawn; that there is no end in… http://bit.ly/dnxVxQ #
- "The especial genius of women I believe to be electrical in movement, intuitive in function, spiritual in… http://bit.ly/bXWwSA #
- "Without leaps of imagination, or dreaming, we lose the excitement of
possibilities. Dreaming, after all, is a… http://bit.ly/9Krz4f #
Archives for May 2010
- "We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that
signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not… http://bit.ly/cFx2Cx #
- "At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from
another person. Each of us has cause to think… http://bit.ly/cPBIl2 #
- Facebook is apparently catching up with the RSS feed it's been ignoring for a month. http://bit.ly/asFp0H #
- This just in: http://shop.eyeofhorus.biz/Tarot-Deck-Blessing-Kit-p/179513.htm http://bit.ly/aJcnaP #
- Tarot for Writers Workshop series starts this Friday and there's still room! Sign up and rev up your creativity… http://bit.ly/d1OaQY #
- "Creativity comes from trust. Trust your instincts. And never hope more than you work." ~Rita Mae Brown http://bit.ly/ciEvE6 #
- "When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life
so that when you die, the world cries and you… http://bit.ly/d2Mwbq #
- “Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.” ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe #
- "Insight, I believe, refers to the depth of understanding that comes by setting experiences, yours and mine,… http://bit.ly/dg73l3 #
- "Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love,… http://bit.ly/b7H628 #
During the creation of Shadowscapes Tarot, the Major Arcana was easy to create, in terms of imagery and motivation. The archetypes of the Majors are enticing to any artist, imbued as they are with the collective subconscious of meaning, and familiar to even those who know little or nothing of Tarot. “Death,” “The Tower,” “The Empress”…each of these conjures a host of ready visual associations and metaphors just from hearing the name alone.
The Minor Arcana was much harder. A number and a suit: how to create meaning from something that seems random? How to motivate myself artistically to not hold back, but to pour everything I have within me into each card? It would be a shame to have created a body of work I was proud of in the Major Arcana, and then to fall short when coming to the rest of the deck.
I decided on one thing immediately. Just as I had done with the Major Arcana, I would proceed with the cards in order. Aces first, twos, threes, etc. By not allowing myself to skip ahead to what might be perceived as the “fun” images, I forced my mind to look into each card to find the meaning in it, to seek out its unique beauty, and to determine how it intersected with my life experiences and personal symbology.
After having come to this decision, I was surprised at how well it worked. I suppose that should not have been unexpected, for the popularity of the tarot and the fact that it has lasted and is so ageless is because the meanings of the cards span the whole of the human experience. If a single card is isolated, and one digs deep enough into the soul, there is bound to be some connection that one finds to what that card signifies. As a result, the journey of creating the deck felt like an extended exercise in meditation, spanning the four and a half years it took to complete the project.
At times during the journey, it felt like purest synchronicity the way inspiration would present itself as I approached a card. Or perhaps it was as I have said: that the connections are all there in our lives, only needing the moment of meditation to comprehend how that puzzle piece fits into the weaving. These links always exist, but they are not recognized as such until they are actively searched for. [Read more…] about Shadowscapes Tarot Artist Notes