10 December at 8:36 AM Central Standard Time. Yes, we love to celebrate the full moon, but this time there’s so much more going on in the sky. Leading up to the Full Moon, Uranus goes Direct and we get a Lunar Eclipse all while Mercury is still in retrograde! This energy is transformational and even shocking. So hang on…
Cold Moon; Long Nights Moon; Moon before Yule
It’s December, the month the winter cold fastens its grip, and nights are at their longest and darkest, and days are the shortest. Midwinter full Moon has a high trajectory across the sky because it is opposite a low Sun, with the longest night of the year on the 21st, as this moon wanes.
These long nights and this full moon in the shadow of an eclipse provides a perfect time to work on awareness and inner-knowing rather than outer-showing. Lunar eclipses can be times when your paradigm shifts and you come to life-changing realizations, and with Uranus going direct, we thought we’d provide a timeline of what’s going to happen in those we hours of the Friday Night leading up to Full Moon.
Uranus Direct 1:05 AM Dec 10th
Uranus, which went retrograde on July 9th, turns direct late Friday night/ Saturday morning. So, on Saturday leading up to Full Moon, the energy from Uranus opens us up to sudden change and freedom, and this just hours before the intensity of a total lunar eclipse.
Uranus is the rebel planet of shocks, surprises, and revolutions. While in it was in retrograde it inhibited our urges to express dramatic thoughts and ideas. Now this period of relative quiet is coming to an end, right during mercury retrograde, full moon and lunar eclipse, and anything that was welling under the surface may want to erupt. Not all transformation is slow, and it can be a bit shocking.
If you begin anything new on a day when Uranus turns direct, whatever you start will have a Uranian quality to it–change, technology, sudden happenings, etc. Transformations will come. It’s best to be grounded, centered, balanced and prepared.
Lunar Eclipse begins 5:30 AM Dec 10th
Moon set is 07:11 CST, so look toward the horizon. Unfortunately for us, it sets as it undergoes a total lunar eclipse. The Twin Cities will scarcely notice the faint shading of the Earth’s outer shadow (the penumbra) on the setting moon, but in general, points farther west and north will see a later stage of the eclipse at moonset.
This lunar eclipse is an excellent time to meditate on the shape of your life and envision how that might be able to change. You might want to do some meditation for inner guidance, book some time with one of our readers, or both. To get into an intuitive state of mind, we recommend spending some time in meditation at your altar. We have suggestions below.
Full Moon in Gemini 8:36 AM Dec 10th
The Moon in Gemini generally favors the following activities: Mental and communicative actions, and more than one activity at once. Reading, learning, letters and emails, errands, writing, teaching, making connections, short trips.
With the full moon in Gemini, you may think this is the perfect time to state your case. Your intuition and subconscious are in high gear. But be careful, with the lunar eclipse, what comes out your mouth may come more from your subconscious or shadow self. Now is the time when the energy of the cosmos does more than nudge, it demands expression.
Remember, Mercury is still Retrograde during this ‘must tell all’ explosively energy time and will be until December 13, 2011. So be warned! Hold off on communications and focus on the shape of things to come. Can you say Freudian slip? So before you say what you ‘know’ is the whole truth and nothing but, take a deep breath and question whether you really want to use your outside voice. Maybe it’s better just to smile knowingly.
Suggestions For your Altar:
Any of these might help with Uranus going Direct:
- Snowflake Obsidian Tumbled Stone – A form of volcanic glass used to show us patterns in our behavior and emotions. It helps be more aware of our surroundings and observant of changes. Snowflake Obsidian aids in perception of patterns and the flow of the cosmos.
- Lavender Herb or Lavender True Essential Oil – Lavender is primarily a superb balancing herb, which accounts for its vast and occasionally contradictory array of magickal uses: Both fertility and chastity, both calm and power. Lavender often used for cleansing and sanctification.
- Inner Balance Blessed Herbal Candle – When your unconscious wants to overflow, this will bring the conscious mind out to create a new unity and clarity. Great for planning your next steps in full awareness
or Water/Emotional Balance Blessed Herbal Candle – Awakening, inner vision, getting with the flow and letting any negativity flow out so goodness can flow in.
- Eye of Newt Candle or Eye of Newt Oil – If you need to break a bond or negative pattern, clear your space or item of residual negativity and raise vibrations to break negative spells.
Any of these might help with any Mercury Retrograde or Lunar Eclipse challenges, and turning inward for wisdom:
- Angelite tumbled stone – Angelite aids expression and communication in group settings, relationships, & with spirit guides & angels.
- Sandalwood Incense – Sandalwood is incredibly useful, so it’s always useful to have on hand. We have sandalwood cones, Morningstar Sandalwood, Satya Super Sandalwood, and many more varieties and blends which include sandalwood.
- Amethyst Balance Incense – Use any time and benefit from the balancing effect of the combined essences of sandalwood, cinnamon, saussurea and other spices. This would be useful for balancing Uranus direct, as well.
Dec 13th: Mercury Direct 7:43 PM (Yay!)
Some of what you intuit may be unclear to your conscious mind with so much energy going into the unconscious. Pay attention over the next two weeks following the full moon, and you will understand what it means.
When Mercury becomes direct after December 14th you can begin to test these new ideas and get ready to put the good ones into action when the time is right. For now, we can’t sit on our feelings. We need to express them … carefully. It may just be best to wait an listen and give others a little extra leeway and forgiveness, especially at this time of year.
Please comment and let us know what you think!